Thursday 11 April 2013

Day 30..........The Bay of Islands.......

OMG I slept in a proper bed last night.  It was heaven!! Although I loved my time in Trevor (so to speak) my hips back and neck weren't too keen by the end!

So I woke refreshed and ready for my tour to the Northlands of the North Island, and the Bay of Islands.

This entailed a 4 hour coach drive to the boat, a 3 hour boat ride round the Bay that is made up of Islands, and a 4 hour coach drive home.

That was my day!  Now, I don't mean to sound flippant, and the scenery was beautiful and I had a relaxing trip there and on the boat, but I think that I have been spoilt with what I have seen before and this did not seems as wonderful as the guide books made it out to be.  Now, maybe it was just the time of year, although the sun was glorious, but it was just not as WOW as I had imagined it to be.  That said, it really was quite lovely and culminated in the 'World Famous Hole in the Rock'. 

A rock. With a hole in it.  Boat sailed through it.  Did that in Capri with Karen.  Seen it in Dorset at Durdle Door.  Walked through Cathedral Cove in the Coromandel.  London Bridge on the Great Ocean Road, Australia......I could go on.

But again, having said that it was a relaxing day and a good way to end my time here in Auckland.  The coach was a social experiment. I wanted to asked the intensely annoying Yank couple (she of epic proportions and he of massive 'cat under nose' moustache) where they were from, not because I was interested, but so I could avoid ever going there.  And she sat on the bus and read 50 Shades of Grey.....Eeeeew.

So after my very long excursion and some Japanese fare I now sit in the very fast internet cafe with a man behind my watching a fitness video and getting rather happy about it.......no not in that way, don't worry just saying 'that is sic' and 'OMG how does he do that...' a lot.

Now tomorrow starts the next chapter in my journey, I head out to the Polynesian Cook Islands, Rarotonga to be precise, for 6 luxury filled nights! 

Villa, veranda, 2 palm trees, hammock, beach.  Or so the website tells me.......

Until the morning faithful friends, my lovely bed awaits, and the rest of the bottle of red wine I cannot fit into my case to take with me so must drink.......hic.


1 comment:

  1. sorry lisa but if your man had a big mushy bushy mustash would you not read that book? maybe not who knows. you should have planned the uninteresting places to visit first then you would not be disapointed,as if you could be. anyway two palm trees and a hammock and plenty to eat and drink might be ok, but if you find another trevor, !!!!!!!!! popxxxxx bin to pub you might have guessed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and not falling asleep long enough to comment!!