Tuesday 9 April 2013

Day 28....The Trans Alpine to Moana

Well, to try and combat the amount of time I am having to spend in this kitchen on the internet updating the blog I love so much (not the cost I must say) I am using 2 computer terminals.  This one to type and the other to upload the pictures.   Lets just hope it works.....

I went on a little train ride today from Christchurch to Moana via Arthur's Pass which, in the advertising blurb looks like a winter alpine paradise.  It being cold but not yet winter, the reality was a little less enthralling but an altogether great trip.

It takes nearly 5 hours and the line finally ends in Greymouth (yes, the town that  is Grey and a mouth) and as I have been there already, I decided to get off a Moana where Lake Bruner is (sorry another lake...)

So I boarded the train at 0815 and away we headed.  The first few miles are through the rundown suburbs of Christchurch and then through a few remote farming communities before it hits the Canterbury Plains.  Now I know that I went on fb this morning and remarked and the lovely weather, but as soon as I wrote that the weather became not so lovely.  Quite frankly it was miserable and the driving rain was causing viewing from the panoramic windows difficult, So I decided to brave the open viewing car.  Well it was like being penned in with a load of cows in a cattle truck and I have to manners were not top of the list.  So I decided to retreat and get the  view on the way back (I am sure I told you that this was a day trip.  If I didn't, this was a day trip with 3 hours in Moana before returning.....)

So we rolled through the countryside and I retreated to the buffet car to munch my way through pancakes, and egg and chive sarnie, bag of crisps and a large kit kat, washed down with 2 cups of tea.  Nice.  And all before 0930....

Tummy full and as the train rolled over viaducts and through tunnels, the scenery of the East coast began to melt away and become decidedly more hilly.  I started talking to 2 middle aged women from Australia (and before you say it I am not middle aged yet.....) and we had a real laugh as there were characters, and were asking me advice on where to stay.  After imparting my extensive travel knowledge, we rolled up to the longest  tunnel in the Commonwealth and the 7th largest in the world (once again I cannot recall the name, making this announcement pretty worthless unless you want to Google it.  It begins with O I think....) and low and behold, as we emerged at the other side the sun was shining down on us!  And who says it always rains on the west coast.....

And then I realised that I had missed this side of the Island very much, it is so different to the East and centre which are beautiful, but not in the same magnificent way.  Lovely.  And then my stop came into view, Moana, nestled in by the side of a gorgeous lake surrounded by mountains (surprise surprise) and I got off the train with a German girl called Katia, and we began talking and realised that we had a lot in common!  We had been told that there was a cafe just opposite the station (I say station but it was a hut) but we managed to miss it, and as we wandered in the direction of the lakeside we stumbled across a banjo country caravan park who told us the way!  We had missed it so we decided to just wander  by the lake and on the little beach where we found a swing just generally enjoyed the sunshine.  She was a lovely girl and is an Occupational Therapist working with the mentally ill in East Germany, so she could understand me perfectly!  She also spoke very good English which was a bonus as my school German only really extends to hello, goodbye and window.....

As out time to return came near we decided to head back to the cafe as we still had 40 minutes before the train came, so what could go wrong.  The lady working there was a real scream and when we saw that it literally back onto the railway line and there was a huge sign on the platform telling us that, we wondered how we could have missed it.  So as we were chatting and enjoying a quick cuppa, she glanced down at the bottom of the garden and said ' there's your train then....' 

Bloody hell!!  It was only 2.15pm, WTF!!?? So we started running, well stumbling, and although the garden backed onto the track there was no access so we had to run up the road and down again.  Well Katia stopped, I stopped, I lost my coffee, she lost her sarnie, we ran again, we stumbled and we charged towards this train that people were pouring out from and in the back of my mind I was thinking 'it's early' and  'I think its pointing in the wrong direction...' and as we approached a man who looked like he ran the train, we were huffing and puffing and asking 'is this the train to Christchurch' to which he simply replied 'no love'.  Christ, it was a bloody private charter who had rolled in to watch our train arrive!! For the love of God, we still had 20 mins.  At this point we were laughing our heads off (you really do have to have been there I think but it was funny at the time) and we sat on the platform until out train finally rumbled into view.

Back on the train we carried on putting the world to rights and got on really well.  The sun was still shining and we got talking to a fab old couple (they reminded me so much of Nan and Grandad, she even looked like my Nan, just a bit taller...) and we put the world to rights.  They were sooooo  funny!  Katia had been to NZ before and was in love with the place and she told us a story where she did a hike with a friend, for 2 days, with no water on the second day, where they had to walk in the dark (you can see where this is going..) and she said it was one of the most ridiculous things she had done but also the one that changed her perspective on things.  And the old dear just piped up (knowing what she did for a living) and said 'you shoulda had a chat with yourself before you did that' Priceless.

So we went back through the tunnel and as soon as we were through the sun went back in and the clouds and rain appeared, as if by magic.

Then we were back in Christchurch and as we said our goodbyes, it was time to head back to Trevor.

Now this was going to be an emotional evening as I its our last night together.  Sniff.  So I  treated us to a Thai and a beer, and we sat and ate together.  I'm gonna miss him but I cannot talk about it now as it makes me sad so that will have to wait (and I am running out of chuffing credit again.  I have written a stern email to the company......)

So I sit once again in the camp kitchen and the weird woman is still here, and still laughing gleefully to herself.  Simple but happy.....

The pics for today will have to wait until I reach Auckland, and the ones for yesterday (remember that far back) may have to wait also, and the other computer is out and only half loaded (really losing my rag now....)

So until tomorrow my faithful followers, when one chapter closes and another begins.......

1 comment:

  1. very funny lisa, and oh man c beat us 2-1 so thankyou. it is nice that you are now meeting more people , sad about trevor but all good things must end sometime. imagine A german being with you did she carry a towel?look forward to photo's tommorow. enjoy. love ya MA, POP, & BERYL. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and not falling asleep long enough to comment!!