Monday 18 March 2013

Day 6....... Blue Lake to Taupo via some rotten eggs.....

Good evening all, I hope you are all well!  After a fab nights sleep at the wonderful Blue Lake camp site and a rather wet one at that, it was clear what a difference a day makes!

Despite the rain first thing it then turned out to be a gloriously sunny day.  So after getting myself ready I took a few pics of the blue (and green) lakes in the sunshine, and it was just as gorgeous!

Then I headed a little way up the road to the Buried Village.  This place was buried by a volcanic eruption in the 1880's and they have excavated it and let us all wander round and marvel at it's beauty.

Now, I wasn't expecting Pompeii and that was a good thing, but what was there was very quaint and the setting was stunning, with the most gorgeous hidden waterfall.  Thankfully I had taken in a scone with jam and cream, a flat white and a chocolate hot cross bun procured from the lady behind the counter.  It was only after I'd eaten it I realised they were her own...bless.

So after a good wander I headed out back past the lakes and into Rotorua as I needed supplies.  Now, as I mentioned yesterday it was a bit of a dump but needs must, and on closer inspection it had the facilities I needed but it still was a bit of a tip.  And it smelt like arses.  That is the only way I can describe it!!  Still, I needed to see the glooping mud pools that are in the local park and see them I did.  Next.  Was rather cool though (not literally).

Supplies bought, 7 miles travelled towards my next destination, realising I had forgotten the main things I went in for, 7 miles back to the supermarket and a strange look from the girl that served me the first time, and then on my way.

Next stop with a couple of detours on the way was Wiatopu Thermal Wonderland.  The roads on this stretch of the journey were very different, straight and straight and straighter.  Still amazing rolling hills (well, mountainous volcanoes really) and a turnoff that promised a volcanic valley did not disappoint.  Once again it meant I had to perform some interesting stopping, but the sights were not to be missed and Trevor was more than obliging.  We are getting on great.

Then it appeared, Wiaotapu Thermal Wonderland.  Wonderland it may be buy my God it stunk.  Now, I was prepared for a 'rotten egg' smell caused by all the sulphur and other chemicals that make these pools and mud so hot (Google why it is like that as I am afraid I cannot tell you, I only know it's amazing) but this was no rotten egg.  I genuinely cannot describe it.  All I can say is that it permeated my nasal passages and will remain with me for some time.  Eeeeeeeew.

But the sights were a wonder to behold.  Plopping boiling mud pools, steaming pools glowing green, blue and yellow and massive pools of literally boiling water.  Boil in the bag kippers any one.....I was so tempted to stick my finger in but I just know it would go horribly wrong, and sure enough, someone else did and I am glad I didn't.....

By this time the sun was well and truly out and I had the head the colour of beetroot due to the exertion of walking with my nose closed and the fact that I hadn't been to thorough with the Piz Burn this morning....

But after plunging my face into ice water I was ready to head for my final destination for tonight, Lake Taupo.  And what a lovely surprise it was.  A really cosmopolitan little town around a lake the size of Singapore.  So I found my spot and settled in for a spot of tea with Trevor and watched the sun disappear behind the storm clouds.  Bloody lovely. 

So now I am at the lovely campsite, reflecting on my days so far.  What days they have been, each one equalling he last and the country never failing to impress.  Do seem to be a lot of hitchhikers that resemble Peter Sutcliffe, but fear not, I will not be offering anyone a lift.....unless the All Blacks happen to need one that is......

1 comment:

Thank you for reading and not falling asleep long enough to comment!!