Thursday 14 March 2013

Day 2 Auckland.....

Morning bloggees, or should I say afternoon for you!  It is 4am in Auckland on 15th March and I am up bright and early (not really through choice but I did sleep like a baby last night) but I am not bothered, Im on holiday and a moment laying in bed awake is a moment wasted.

So let me tell you about yesterday, my second on my trip but my first full day...

Watched the new Pope get voted in, there was nothing else on the TV so had no choice but I couldn't help thinking that maybe they should start to pick younger ones.......? Just a thought.  Anyhoo then I decided to take the buss back to a coupe of places that I had been yesterday so that I could appreciate them properly, rather than through the eyes of a tired, smelly tramp!  First stop was Bastion Point lookout which had fab views over the city and bay and it was just lovely to wander with the sunshine on my face.  And marvel at the phenomenon that are Japanese tourists.  Love them.  Mad, excentric, very small and the dress sense that an only be described as 'eclectic'.  I have never seen so many socks/sandal combos, nylon and polyester shirts and hats that would not look out of place at Ascot...

Next stop the museum to marvel at the spectacular building and the amazing maori artifacts within. Watched the 'cultural' show which included a fab Hakka, but I just got the impression that the 3 girls and 3 guys performing the show, although very good, would rather be somewhere else!  Quite possibly the pub......and one was no stranger to a fish supper but none the less worked the loin cloth well.

Then started my usual thing, stroll through the city until my feet hurt and I realise that it is halfway through the afternoon and I havent eaten.  So I had ended up in the newly developed wharf area which whilst very chic and lively, was slightly out of my price range! Boats and yachts worth more than my house, beautiful people eating in the waterfront resturants and all us tourist looking on in envy, staring at all those lucky enough to be able to enjoy the local fayre.....

So I did what every self respecting tourist on a bit of a budget, I went to Subway.  Nom.  12inch sub with the lot,, bag of crisps and a drink, $8. Done.  Sat eating it on the 'front' by the pretty ferry terminal looking at the north shore of the city and watching a random bloke wearing trackies and a footie shirt and who looked like an extra from Shameless, lay down his cap and perform a dance which consisted of him shuffling his feet and making a sound like a wounded badger.  It was at this point I made a last minute decision to get on a ferry and head to Devenport on the North Shore.......

And a wonderful decision it was,, $11 and 12 minutes later I was transported to a gorgeous little seaside town with whiteboard wooden properties mingled with 1930's architecture and a view over to Auckland Harbour that was stunning. I spent a few hours wandering, enjoying the view and sunshine, eating an ice cream bigger than my head and generally being a tourist.  Then it was back to the mainland and time to head back towards my bed.  Time was getting on and I was momentarily distracted by a pop up bar that was serving a brew called 'Parrot Dog Bitter Bitch' so I stopped to partake.  Delish.  Strong and expensive but worth it.  So, moving on slightly wobbly due to lack of food I carried on my search for the Asian Cuisine I had been looking for since I arrived.

And I found it down a little back street, called Renkon. Nom nom nom.  Stuffed myself silly for $18 and then staggered back to my bed.  Where I promptly fell asleep on the sofa, waking up at midnight and crawling into bed.

The last bed I will sleep in for 4 weeks as tomorrow I pick up my camper and the true adventure begins..... Until then faithful followers........

1 comment:

  1. VERY GOOD READ LISA, IT MADE MA LAUGH, AND HAD BERYL LOOKING PUZZLED AS TO WHAT WAS GOING ON. MA DID SAY THAT $8 FOR A SUBWAY WAS DEAR AS THEY ARE ONLY £1-50 IN MAIDSTONE. BLESS HER. ANYWAY WE ARE GLAD YOU ENJOYING YOURSELF, SO KEEP SAFE AND CARRY ON, YOU HAVE EARNED IT. LOVE YOU, MA,POP,& BERYL XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and not falling asleep long enough to comment!!