Wednesday 27 March 2013

Day 15........Ice Ice Baby.....

Wow.  What a day.  Seriously, it has been a stonker.  So, rather than bore you with babble I am going to let the pics do the talking,  But I will just point out some of the highlights for you....

Beautiful clear day, blue skies and my first view of the snow capped peaks from Trevor - awesome way to start the day...

A short stroll to the start of the glacier (or the end, which every way you see it) before breakfast and realising my definition of 'moderate fitness' and the NZ definition vary greatly....

Breakfast, my first all trip......

8 people on the trip - 3 English (2 moaning who had been there and done it all, so I trumped them all the way) their friend (bless her), an older couple from New York wearing inappropriate clothing (she's had some work done but they were kinda cute) and a Chinese couple from Sydney.....

The Heli hike, OMFG Shut up and all that, blue sky, white ice and James the guide......

Landing on the ice and stepping on it for the first time - awesome

Hearing 'my crampons come off John' over and over and over (well if you had worn the boots they supply, love, and not your own they wouldn't would they?)......

James the guide.......

Ice caves........

Crawling through the cave on my belly........

Blue sky and more blue sky............

James the guide.........

2 1/2 hours of incredible whiteness and coldness but being warm.....

Did I mention James the guide?  Woof ding dong, yummy posh totty, a cross between Bear Gryls and Prince Harry, and English.  And boy, did he know how to handle a pick axe........

INCREDIBLE........

Another walk to Lake Matheson after all that hiking.....

Lamb shank and beer (when in NZ.........)

Did I mention the guide..........? James I think he was called.........

So there we have it, enjoy looking at the pics as much as I did taking them xxxxx

1 comment:

Thank you for reading and not falling asleep long enough to comment!!